Thursday, February 17, 2011

Days 280 - 286 The aftermath

So, feedback on your progress post op, Miks....

Thursday, 10 Feb
Unhappy, crying.... and you were also unhappy and crying, with temperatures.

Friday, 11 Feb
So happy to see me when I arrived in the morning... it was too cute. Still with temperatures though, and not happy being moved around too much.

Saturday, 12 Feb
We brought you home in the morning. You were feeding every 3 hours, only around 70mls at the most. I anticipated an AWFUL night, because you weren't terribly happy during the day. infact, I'd go so far as to say you were ignoring me most of the day... making it known how unhappy you were that I left you overnight, not once, but TWICE!

In the evening you were really funny though... you had a bottle around 6:30pm. I then gave you a suppository (you hadn't passed a stool for 3-4 days)... and then you fell asleep. I checked on you around 8pm, and although you were asleep, you had a dirty nappy... so I ended up waking you to change it.... and then you were SUPER happy. Smiley, chatting... it was too adorable.

Then you went to sleep almost instantly, with not so much as a fuss... and, as I say, I was expecting the worst.

Well. You slept til 6:30am the next morning. Yes. 06h30am! Not one wake up. And then you started eating. And your appetite has come in leaps and bounds.

Sunday, 13Feb
Eating well. Very sleepy today. Only one wake up in the early hours of Monday morning, at 3am.

Monday, 14Feb
You're now eating almost 100ml at every feed, every 3-4 hours. And drinking lots of water in between. Your evening was a bit grumpy, so we ended up using the tube to finish your bottle.

Only one wake up, at 2am... and then only woke up again at 07h30am!

Tuesday, 15Feb
I cannot believe how much food you're eating!! You are SO HUNGRY... And you're eating it all orally!! The irony is that I was told by the surgeon (only after the op), that your stomach will have shrunk by about a 1/3, due to the balloon taking up space, and some of the stomach being used up to suture your stomach to the abdomen wall. And yet you're eating more now than EVER before.... and FAST!

The other strange thing is that your reflux actually seems to have improved?! It's supposed to be worse due to the op?

Your last feed before bed seems to be the one we're now battling with. We ended up giving you your early evening feed through the tube tonight, because you were hungry, but were fighting taking it orally. It was so funny to watch, because you were moaning, and then eventually you kind of stopped... but it was like you were kind of thinking "hang on, nothing to moan about anymore". You looked very confused! and it's really weird feeding you straight into your tummy, and then burping you... and it comes out your mouth... it's just strange!

Only one wake up. 2:30am, and then only again at 07h30am!

Your Dad and I are so TIRED!? And yet we're getting so much sleep!?!?

Wednesday, 16Feb
This hunger of yours is astounding!! On some feeds we are giving you betwene 125-150ml! I weighed you yesterday... you have put on probably about 250grams... IN LESS THAN A WEEK! And post operatively! And you're genuinely hungry... and will not settle until you've had enough to fill that little tummy of yours. You're feeding almost every 3 hours... but your feed size per meal has gone up 25-50%. You are, for the most part, comfortable, and content. Not all smiley yet.... but I am hoping it will come. You're even a little more alert, perhaps? But maybe I am imagining that?

Your granny and grampa arrived today.... granny was holding you at one stage, and you had your head kind of in the crook of her neck... and you snuggled into her.... you really did.... purposefully tucking yourself in close to her.... and it even looked to me like you were trying to touch her face.... it was really very precious to watch.

Granny also does "star jumps" with you... (Well, your arms, while you're lying on your back)... and she counts to let you know they're coming... and I can see that you're anticipating it. Your eyes widen, and sparkle, and the corners of your eyes scrunch up... it's a smile in your eyes!! But the fact that you actually anticipate it, is just lovely.

On Monday, I went to the gynae to check how your baby sibling is doing. Growth is really good. Baby is around 900g already. Kicking like mad. Your mom feels ENORMOUS! And I have 12 weeks to go still! But I have big babies... which is why I was always uncomfortable with the fact that you were so small.... it's amazing looking back how obvious all the signs actually were that something was wrong! Anyway, no use crying over spilt milk!

Sleeping last night? Not great. You had fought your bottle (seems to be the thing now), and I said to your Daddy that we needed to top you up via the tube, but he told me just to have supper first... you fell sleep in that time... so we didn't top you up... and surprise surprise (not!), you woke at 12pm, and then again at 05h30am! The midnight feed you drank around 125mls... but then you didn't want to go back to sleep. Daddy tried to banish you to the lounge, but I can still hear you... so I went and held you upright on my chest, and in about 10 minutes you fell asleep... seems you just wanted a cuddle :)... but don't think I'll do it every night... cos while I love our cuddles, I will have to put my foot down with midnight cuddles... they leave Mommy a bit of a zombie.

Well, one thing that's a given with a T18 baby.... expect to be kept on your toes!

Oh, and the most wonderful thing... via mummy's friend Kathy, I am in touch with another T18 mum in Joburg... her little precious boy, Lior, is 9 months old like you. And I just love that I can be in touch with another SOUTH AFRICAN. I love all the mommies overseas, they have been to utterly wonderful, and supportive, and at times my lifeline.... but they have access to things we don't, and sometimes I find it soul destroying to see what I am NOT giving you.... so someone else in "the same boat" as me, is quite exciting. Little Lior looks so sweet.... maybe I have a boyfriend for you.. tee hee xx

1 comment:

  1. Hi there little Miks - I just have to say that you are a very gorgeous and very very special little girl and you have a very very special mommy who loves you so so so much. Mommy is so right, its wonderful to know that there are other special families like us. So now, we will have to make a plan and get you to meet little Lior, I know that the minute you meet him you will fall hopelessly in love with him and vice versa :)

    Lots of love and hugs
    Lior's mommy

    Taryn I know I havent phoned you yet, been a little hectic but I will I promise. It is just wonderful to know that you are nearby (ok not so nearby but closer than overseas :)

    ReplyDelete