Monday, March 21, 2011

Days 314-319 Trisomy Awareness Month

I am a bit slow off the mark: but March is Trisomy Awareness Month, with the 18th having been Trisomy 18 Awareness Day....

I think awareness should be particularly pertinent in this country. When we first heard the word Trisomy 18, we were like "huh, Tri.. WHAT??". A relatively rare disorder- alot of the Trisomy 21 (Down's Syndrome) mothers, haven't even heard of Trisomy 18. But what about T13? Or T9? Or translocations? Or mosaics? There is alot about these disorders that I haven't even touched on- and really have just shared my experience of T18 through my daughter.

There are no support groups in this country, and I did not receive so much as a leaflet when I left the hospital with Mikayla. Obviously the doctors knew I was doing research, but information I have I have found out through the net, and through a wonderful network of mums and dads- most of whom have found ME. I am so grateful for these world wide web friends. Without them, I don't think I'd have come as far as I have. To all you wonderful mums and dads out there: THANK YOU! Your calls, FB messages, sms's, emails etc etc mean more than you will EVER know.

To all the beautiful little children who have struggled, and fought. Who have been courageous, and graceful; some who continue to do so today, and some who got their wings, and are now with Jesus: thank you for all you have taught me. Thank you for showing me the value of life.

To my beautiful daughter: there are no words to say how in awe I am at your bravery. I whisper all my thoughts and hopes and dreams into your precious little ears, so you know my heart: but I will just say this: I love you. So very much. Thank you for allowing me to be your mother. And for giving me time to love you. Everyday is a blessing. I admit, there it is often bittersweet- but what will never change, is how very much I love you. Always. And forever.

For anyone on Facebook, there is a great album that has been created by Alisha, mother to Lane (full T18) to create awareness. Check it out here :

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2106934&id=1324844228&fbid=1869236453703&ref=mf
(thank you Jill for the link)

As for an update on Miks: she is well. We have had a funny two nights, in that she keeps getting a really snotty nose.... and so she's been a bit frustrated... particularly if we resort to the "snot-a-la-tor"... but otherwise all is well.... we're on the countdown to a family holiday at Umngazi!! Can't WAIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment