Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day 407 Hospitalisation

Poor little girl is very sick

Last night wasn't good. Officially, it was a "good" night, in that she only woke once. But during the course of last night, she changed... she was no longer crying, but started, actually whimpering. We couldn't get her to keep much food down... even when we used the peg. She was so exhausted, and yet she wouldn't/ couldn't sleep.

I went to her this morning.. she was covered in phlegm- it was even in her hair! I bathed her, and gave her half a feed in her peg, but she vomited it all up. We tried contacting the doctors- my feeling was hospital, but I wanted to check what the doctor said. Anyway, I couldn't get hold of anyone... so I took her temperature, and it was 39.2C!!! So Russ whisked her off to the hospital this morning. Russ has been great- and has spent the whole day at the hospital- helping with feeds, helping hold her down for medication etc.

Effectively they are treating her for bronchial pneumonia. She is on 2 antibiotics and something for the fever (it was over 40C when she arrived in the hospital!!). They are suctioning her nose and lungs, as well as physio. They are also nebulising her. They have also had to give her medication for her heart, because even with them having brought her temps down, and putting her on oxygen for her sats, her heart is still beating wildly... the problem with this is that with her heart lesions, the wild heart is actually causing more fluid build up on her lungs, which is what they have to get under control.

She goes from being very distressed, to being quiet and lethargic. She is very tired, but is battling to sleep, because even on the oxygen her breathing still isn't great, and her oxygen level was dropping well below 85. Russ says she seems confused...

I haven't been able to be there, because I can't take Jude, and I obviously have to be around to feed him. The second time I went in to see her, this afternoon... I said hello to her, and her head WHIPPED around to see me... and while I didn't get a smile, she seemed to be trying to talk to me.

I am scared. Mainly because she has been so strong... and has never had to be hospitalized (except for the op for her peg)... so her rapid decline from a snotty nose to bronchial pneumonia - it was less than 48 hours from zero to hero - has been quite a shock. And because I can't be there, I feel like a bad mother. She is probably scared, and in a very unfamiliar surrounding, and of course I just hate seeing her suffer. And for her to go from a loud moaning, to a whimpering, is really an indication of how terrible she feels.

The pediatrician is doing everything possible- and covering all bases. And the nurses are of course lovely. It's going to be a tough night- cos I can't be with her. I love her, and I am trying to be positive. But it's hard. I am also trying to trust that this is all in God's hands... but really am feeling a bit like I have "ostrich syndrome".... (or would like it, in any event)

Mikayla has always been such a fighter... despite us. We've obviously treated her for stuff as and when she's needed it- but invariably she rarely ever needs anything, and has certainly never needed hospitalization. But I have noticed that every time she gets a little more sick than the last time, and takes a little longer to get better. But this is full blown. I feel so out of my depth. But she's in the right place.

I guess I can only trust that God's plan will prevail, and that he'll give us all the strength and courage to deal with what lies ahead... whether that's Mikayla, or us, or both.

I love you baby girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment