Friday, January 21, 2011

Days 253-258

Gosh, a week gone by already! Where does the time go? And Mikayla is already 8 1/2 months old!! Some days I still think I am going to wake up, and this is all going to have been a dream... but then Mikayla wakes up for a feed at 1am, and it all comes rushing back at me :)

It's been a chaotic week in general. The boys were back at school this week (yay for me!)... I was dreading it, what with Luke always fussing about school, and with almost the whole group of Josh's friends having moved schools... I thought Wednesday was going to be a nightmare... well, once again my children showed me up (like Mikayla REGULARLY does), and they have been absolute superstars... settling nicely, and happy as Larry.. I hope it stays that way.

Miks has been really up and down- although, in hindsight, that itself is not new news... she's erratic as a general rule. But the last week she's had some really strange days. Like take today- she was really quite happy first thing in the morning, but by lunch time she was really unhappy. Now the strange part is the "manner" in which she is unhappy... today she wasn't grumpy... she was SAD. When she cried it was a sad whimper... that really seemed to come from deep within. And, when L resorts to giving her paracetamol, then I KNOW that Miks has been VERY unhappy. She still seems to lift her legs alot, like her stomach is cramping... it's almost like she's actually trying to stop herself from pooing- which children do do... and then she actually makes herself constipated.

Anyway, as Russ said, we have to do SOMETHING about it, because anything is better than where we currently are! So I have succumbed, and am going to see a pediatric dietitian... in the hope that some serious attention to her diet could help her poor little digestive tract, and make her happier, and more settled. I am not sure if it'll be enough, but I suppose we have to start somewhere. If things don't change by the time the new one arrives, well, you'll have to lock me up- as it is, I am a complete zombie...

She also, in between her bad moments, can be a real sweet little thing... I have a mobile that hangs next to her changing mat, which she really loves. It's really low, so she can actually, by accident, touch it... and she gets really chuffed if she does touch it! Then the other day, I was leaning forward, and she would slowly move her hand forward, and it would touch my lips, and I'd kiss it, and she'd grin, and then take her hand to her mouth, and then she'd do it all over again- she did this 4 or 5 times!... I really think she was TRYING to touch me... she wasn't actually reaching out in so much as she was just moving her hand to me (I was well within reach), and she doesn't have that much control over her hands... but she was definitely trying. Sweet little thing! I'll often take her hands, and open them on my face, and she gets really mesmerized when she's touching my face.... I do the same with the mobile- and she loves touching that- she gets really quiet when I am holding her hand to it. Not sure if she quite gets it yet that her hand is the one touching, but she seems to like it. Oh the small things that I took for granted with the boys!

She also, if it's bright in the room (like if the lights are on), always sleeps with her hand over her eyes... like this:


Oh, and an update on the weight: I actually did weigh her, and she had lost some weight, and at the beginning of the week she was down to under 4kgs, but then I weighed her again halfway through the week, and she was back up just over 4kgs! So, I think, like her "moods", and her eating habits, her weight fluctuates. I am hoping the dietitian will be able to help here.

I have also ordered her some dark glasses! Can't wait for them to arrive... will post pics when they do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment