Friday, September 9, 2011

Days 486 - 489 16 months today

Mikayla is 16 months today. Never. Never. Did we think we'd have this much time with her.

And yet there's more to celebrate today. This is really silly... I mean REALLY silly... but I feel like we've reached another milestone. Let me explain:

You see, for months now, and for reasons I cannot explain, I have had the number 486 in my head. I don't know where it comes from... it just pops in from time to time. Then, on Saturday, when I posted that post, after not having posted for a while... I looked at the numbers, and remembered.. 486. And I was worried. It's so silly... it's just a number... but after her turn on Saturday, suddenly it didn't seem so insignificant, and it just kind of lingered at the back of my mind over the proceeding days.

But now we're at day 489. That's 3 more days. It's a milestone. Not a true one. Not a significant one. But one nonetheless.

The bad news is that Mikayla's condition is not improving- well, not at any significant level. The doctor did a CRP sample, which checks her inflamation levels... and it seems that there is a decline in inflamation which suggests that the antibiotic is fighting the infection. But her lung is still consolidated. We have given her slightly stronger pain meds to keep her calm- she has been really fretful the last few days.

Tuesday was particularly bad. She was really unhappy. When I arrived her upper chest was all puffy. She was agitated, and was shouting- a horrible cats cry. To cut a long story short: the IV line that was now being run into her jugular vein in her neck had BENT. Can you imagine how sore that must've been?! They have swapped sides now, and she seems more comfortable. But the only other place to run a line, if this one comes out, will be her head... and then all her crazy hair will have to be shaved off (and it's only just growing now). But for now, it looks fine.

So since yesterday afternoon, the meds seem to be keeping her calm. And I think if she isn't spending so much time fighting and shouting, perhaps some of that energy can go to fighting the infection.

I feel so sorry for her. Her poor little body must be so sore. She has now been having physio for 11 days. On that tiny body! My heart just breaks for her. She's is so strong, and yet so fragile.

I am not sure what to feel at the moment. I am tossed between utter despair and worry, to strength and calm, to surrender. The reality is that at this stage it doesn't look good. We are doing everything we can, and yet she isn't getting better. We've moved through several antibiotics; and while they do their part, her body can't to it's part, and so she just gets worse again. How much more can her poor little body endure?

It's just not fair.

And yet, Mikayla has surprised us all before. Several times. And as long as she wants to fight, we will help her. It's really up to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment