Friday, June 11, 2010

Day 35

I am so very overwhelmed by the love and support we have received over the last few weeks. I think I get so self absorbed, that I sometimes don't take cognizance of how amazing the immediate community, and extended community are being to our little family! We are hardly deserving of it, and yet people have reached out and touched us... I am just so unbelievably grateful. It has astounded me how the human spirit works.

You know, my Dad once said to me that it's in tragedy, or in hard times that you see who your true friends are. There is certainly truth to that... but what it doesn't point out is how much you learn about people, and their capacity to care for one another. It's so easy to care for people, in some respects, who are experiencing pain of some sort, because we have a REASON to extend out our hand and touch them. Oh, if only we could all humble ourselves to that point everyday, and for no reason... imagine what an amazing place the world would be!

Hum·ble
adj. hum·bler, hum·blest
1. Marked by meekness or modesty in behavior, attitude, or spirit; not arrogant or prideful.
2. Showing deferential or submissive respect: a humble apology.
3. Low in rank, quality, or station; unpretentious or lowly: a humble cottage.

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves" Phil 2:3


"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble" James 4:6

"Before his downfall a man's heart is proud, but humility comes before honor" Prov 18:12


Mikayla hasn't fed well again today... well, she feeds fairly ok, but she seems to be eating less, and it quite fussy when she eats... but maybe I read too much into things. But she was good today. Had a very dirty nappy this morning!! I really hope that has made her more comfortable. We went out to watch Bafana Bafana on the big screen today (whoop whoop.. ayoba... and all that)... and Miks was passed around, and loved and cuddled... at least she doesn't fuss... real little angel my darling. There are no words for how completely in awe I am at the people in this community. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

5 weeks old today, my little darling. I can't believe how quickly it's gone.

Counting down the days til we move back into our home.. looking forward to seeing my little girl in her room, and the boys each in their own rooms too. We won't know ourselves with all the space. And I think I will start going on walks... Mik and I. I think she'll like that :-)

Oh, and did I mention that my husband ROCKS?! And he also rocks my world.

Tomorrow I will take some more pics of my precious. Good night :-D

5 comments:

  1. Dearest Taryn..........congratulations on the birth of your beautiful baby girl! I too had a little girl with T18 - Rebecca. What a blessing. Please please contact me of there is any way you feel I can add to your journey with your precious Mikayla........
    Much love

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention that I am from Durban but we are currently living on the west coast in Langebaan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Taryn
    I have just read up on Trisomy18 and my heart goes out to you and your family.

    I don't have any children with Trisomy18 but I did go through a traumatic twin pregnancy where we could have lost one or both of our twins at any moment.

    I just wanted to say that you are so right when you say how wonderful and supportive people can be. It truly is sobering when you stop to think on it. It is the support and love from all those wonderful people who are going be there for you and help to support you as you travel life's journey with Mikayla and your family.

    Hugs to you and your family.
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Taryn and Family -

    I just wanted to say that remember that everything you do you are doing for Mikayla and she is proud of her mommy. You cherish everyday of her life. I also had a daughter, Savannah, who was born with Trisomy 18. Every day is a challenge yet every day is also a blessing. Hold her tight and celebrate each day, she is yours for a bigger reason than any of us will ever know.

    My love and peace to you and your family,
    Darcy
    Mommy to Savannah Kristyne 12-12-00 - 15-6-01

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Taryn,
    Reading your blog has brought backsome very painful and joyous memories. I am Tessie's mum, Julie and she is now thirteen years and six months. Having Tessie in my life has changed it monumentally but only for the better. She has given me an understanding of what is truely important in life. There is nothing I would change about her and given the chance I would do it all over again. Please fell free to contact me if I am able to help in any way. Love Julie and Tessie
    PS we live in Australia and you may see news about Tessie from her grandmother, Jocelyn.

    ReplyDelete